Wednesday, May 16, 2012

We Remember Donald "Duck" Dunn

WE REMEMBER...Donald "DUCK" Dunn
Words By Raymond Tyler
November 24, 1941-May 13th 2012

Like most "kids" in my generation. My first introduction to bass guitarist Donald Dunn was through listening to  the soul classics our parents owned like Sam and Dave's "SOUL MAN."

However at 7 or 8 years old I didn't know to check out the bass guitar on the track.

My friends and myself finally got an idea of how great Mr. Dunn was and his contributions to music when "Jake and Elwood" got the band back together in the historical 1980 film The Blues Brothers.

At the time I still only understood the merest nugget of what Mr. Dunn's bass meant to many of my favorite tracks. All I knew then was that he played in the same film as Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles and James Brown, so he must be alright.

Today. And for the last 10 years or thanks to articles like this one. I have become a fan of Mr. Dunn's bass.

He added so much funk and soul to my childhood, my learning process, my DJ sets, my film experience, and    a lot of the music I just loved to dance to.

If you remember nothing else...remember I wrote this.
"The Blues Brothers (TV Edit) should be taught in highschool music class."

I don't it's possible the world will ever let us forget Donald "Duck" Dunn!



Sam and Dave perform SOUL MAN with Donald Duck Dunn on the bass.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive