Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Seal - Love Don't Live Here Anymore - David Letterman 1-16-12


DJ Trouble Man's Single File-SEAL ...IS A MAN!

Let's be for real Rose Royce's Love Don't Live Here Anymore is what a classic sounds like.

So when someone has the nerve to look at a recording that stands so well on it's own I have a few rules.
Especially when someone like SEAL (meaning successful with out needing covers to build an audience) is doing the singing.

Rule Number One-Don't take anything away from the original. You must at least match the energy and soul that we got the first time. I don 't want to hear you singing a great song and want you to stop because you have re-invented it or wrote some wack new verses.

Rule Number Two Please Ad Something substantial to your recording-The one thing I hated about some of Whitney Houston's covers is that she would just re do the song the way it was and bring no new feeling. Whitney is alway capable but I wondered if she was motivated at times.

Well Seal has not made the same mistake. First of all the passion seems totally different coming from Seal's unorthodox raspy voice. Secondly, his addition of a full orchestra over a funk band really makes a song that is bluesy...soar and fly. Watching this performance I still felt sad and blue but I felt excited too.

From Rose Royce to Seal....Love Don't Live Here Anymore is a song that sticks to your heart and it don't let go. Both remind me of the loves in my life that didn't work out that I wanted to. Both are classic. If I had to pick one, it would be the original vocals from Rose Royce...but I would bring Seal's orchestra with me and have Seal do the second verse.

Single File Grade. A+



1 comment:

  1. I love this song, the diffrence I am finding in Seal's is his seems more jazzy? Yes and that is fine with me. He did not try to make it R&B.. I like.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive