Sunday, March 4, 2012

Celebration of Women's History Month: Lorraine Hansberry

To Be YOUNG GIFTED AND BLACK


Lorraine Vivian Hansberry (May 19, 1930[1] – January 12, 1965) was an African American playwright and author of political speeches, letters, and essays.[2] Her best known work, A Raisin in the Sun, was inspired by her family's battle against racial segregation in Chicago.

Now personally I feel inspired by Hansberry's work every time I write. I still find it impossible to believe that I had never heard of or seen A Raisin In the Sun until years after I graduated high school.

I have seen elements "borrowed" in some of the best plays, drams, stories and poetry I have experienced from A Raisin In The Sun and her autobiography To Be Young Gifted and Black.

I am an artist who wants to be known as being gifted but also being concerned. It is the work of writers lead by Ms. Hansberry that lets me know not only am i not crazy, I am never as alone as I feel in my quest to be (both talented and concerned.)


The Trailer for The Original Film A Raisin in The Sun.

Trivia Question: What Famous "Cooley High Actor"  Played The Role Of "Travis" in the Broadway version?
If you are the first to answer correctly The Music and Entertainment Report will give you a copy of the DVD version of Angie Stone's Greatest hits!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive